Musical Director ~ Pianist ~ Organist ~ Arranger ~ Instructor ~ Curricula ~ Master Classes
As Music Director Len Rhodes has worked in professional theatre in the US, Canada, and the UK. He also directs performing groups and choirs.
Len's first paid organist position came at age 13 and he continues to offer his vast experience of religious and secular music as required in an ever-changing worship experience. His choirs have enjoyed singing traditional anthems and hymns as well as contemporary music. His choir recently performed John Stainer's "The Crucifixion" on Good Friday. Len scored additional parts for flute and clarinet with piano for this occasion.
Len Rhodes has performed throughout the world including the Las Vegas MGM Grand's Hollywood Theatre, The Edinburgh International Festival, Cathedral of St. Sulpice in Paris, and London’s Banqueting House for members of the Royal Family. He performs regularly as Artist in Residence for the Summit Music and Arts winter concert series in Summit County, Colorado. Len's career is a lifetime of performance and direction on piano, organ, harpsichord, and electronic keyboard instruments.
- "A Night with Janis Joplin" - Broadway and US Tour 2011-16
- Mike Tyson's MGM Las Vegas production "The Undisputed Truth" 2012
- Music Theater productions in the UK, Canada and USA
- BBC Radio's "Choirgirl of the Year"
- Trinity College London
- Instrumental arrangements for Summit Music and Arts
- Virginia Shakespeare Company - commissioned composer for their 10th anniversary
- Arrangements and Original Music published through SheetMusicPlus, Music Sales, Inc., G. Schirmer Inc., and Len Rhodes Music Inc.
- By Private Commission
Music Copying/Engraving Clients have included:
- Edwin H Morris (Music Publishers)
- Royal Academy of Music
- Ursula Vaughan Williams
- Dr Arthur Wills (Ely Cathedral)
- Teacher of Composition, Piano, Organ, Music Theory, History, & Music Appreciation, Master Classes, Workshops and Presentations.
- Lecturer (History of Music) University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
- Founder and Director/Artistic Director - Pikes Peak Young Composers Competition and Summit Music and Arts
- Music Advisor, Madison Country Day School, Madison, WI
- U.S. Coordinator, Trinity College London, England
- Workshop clinician for teaching associations throughout the USA
- Presenter MTNA National Conference
- Instructor of Advanced Piano, Composition, Theory, Sutton Valence School, Kent, England
- Teaching Artist for the Texas Institute for Arts in Education, Houston, TX
- Various high school music faculty positions, London and the South-east (England)
- Madison Country Day School, Madison, WI
- Colorado Springs Youth Symphony, Colorado Springs, CO
- Summit Middle School, Frisco, CO
- Summit High School IB Program, Breckenridge, CO
- solo project
- ensemble or band
- piano and composition workshops
- song writing
- practical and theory presentations
- individual coaching for Advanced Placement (AP) Music Theory
- school curriculi evaluation, development and design
- music appreciation and history
- graded music examination system workshops
- The Beatles; and other contemporary artists
"I wish he could come and give instruction to the skating coaches and judges on how to critique a child. That was superb."
"He quickly gets to the heart of the matter. He explains very clearly for all students - piano, voice and violin."
"The Beatles: Their Music and Artistry - An Analysis"
A detailed and intriguing musical analysis of The Beatles from "Love Me Do" (1962) to "The Long the Winding Road" (1970). This course can be specifically adapted for the individual, or the classroom situation. Len Rhodes will take you on a journey celebrating the Beatles' innovative approaches - including melody, harmony, counterpoint, rhythm, form and texture, their musical practices and structures. A historical perspective of the creative process and recording studio practice is also addressed.
Len Rhodes' lecture "Teaching Composition in the Private Studio" was presented at the Music Teachers National Association's Annual Conference in Seattle. The same-titled book is available for download on this website.